Thursday, April 26, 2007

stealing, and leaving

fisch's kids are now home, released on bail. while Leader Kid showed up at practise this week, wearing his letter jacket and willing to speak candidly about how he and Follower had fucked up over the weekend, Follower Kid doesn't leave his parents' house, doesn't speak, doesn't accept visitors. fisch is worried, wonders whether he should be on suicide watch.

that kid better do no such thing. it's one thing if you've been in pain for most of your life and you've tried and tried and nothing offers any long-term succor. when bob dropped off the DE Mem Bridge, and when mack's wife left, we mourned but none of us were surprised. and in betsey's case we were relieved because her suicide was like the sword of damocles: you knew it was going to drop sometime; you just didn't know when.

but these were people who struggled over a lifetime, not 21-year-old kids who stole a fucking bike. FK better keep his shit together because fisch doesn't need any more grief in his life.

APC's The Outsider is one of the best songs about suicide, IMO. although maynard has stated it's written from the perspective of someone who doesn't understand and therefore can't empathise, i like its unflinching stance. it's refreshing.
listen

and here's DLo's even more remorseless interpretation:
listen

7 comments:

fatmammycat said...

I tried to watch this, but I failed miserably at about .4 of the way through. I jsut can't watch that and think about his being in charge of super-power country.
Although for that matter I also can't watch Bertie Ahern, the crooked wee soundbite laden crook.

fatmammycat said...

Sigh, I'm having one of those bloody days, that was for the above post.

FINN said...

at least yer man can speak. when ours tries i hear the sound of rocks rattling in an otherwise empty space. it's a sound that makes me want to rip the heads off kittens with my teeth.

fatmammycat said...

No he can't the stuttering bloody feak. He's a filthy bollix and as crooked as a d runk ferret. And belligerent too when he's caught out being a shyster. You should have seen the carry on of him in the Dail when it was discovered he had been 'given as a gift, a gift' the money to buy his house a few years ago, a fucking gift, which he says he 'forgot' about, as you do. When he was being asked questions he stood with his hands in his pockets, shouting, 'Do ye w-w-w-ant me to t-t-t-tell ya about me comunion money too?"
And he's running our country.
I really do need a drink, my nerves are shot today.

fatmammycat said...

I prefer the second version of the song too, more edgy, going on iPod.

FINN said...

poor cat. are the backyard avian wars keeping you up at night?

fatmammycat said...

Completely you say. You're very correct, without the music I think I'd be most pissed off a whole lot of the time.

Those birdie bastids are taking the piss, but the paramour more so, with his alarm clock dance. And I'm bogged down in the mire work wise and typing backwards does not make it any easier.
Oh wah wah. I should take some of my own advice and shut the hell up. I know, I'll go make a drink and watch some Horacio Crane mangle acting, sunglasses one, sunglasses off.
Night.